Sunday, July 06, 2014

Volkspistole update...

The funk of half a thousand rounds.
MAJ Caudill putting rounds downrange.
Among the pistols used to make celebratory noise yesterday was the Walther PPX. Another hundred rounds went through it, bringing the total count to 545. No malfunctions to report. MAJ Caudill was impressed with the gun, pronouncing it "stupid easy to shoot."

Also, I had neglected to bring any ear pro along with me. I'd been using a pair of borrowed muffs, but with their owner having returned, I picked up a set of Howard Leight Impact Sport active hearing protectors at the fun store yesterday. Despite being in the same price bracket as my long-serving Peltor Tac 6S behind-the-head muffs, they have a couple of handy extra features that the cheapest Peltors don't have, such as a headphone jack so you can dual-wield pistols while listening to "Spybreak!" and an automatic "off" switch after four hours. (The latter being especially useful for someone who has pulled a pair of dead hearing pro out of her range bag on Day One of gun school more times than I care to remember...)

Also, they amplify ambient sound much more than my Peltors, seal pretty much as well, and stow in the range bag a lot better than the behind-the-head muffs. Like all inexpensive active ears, they're near useless on an indoor range unless you double up, and almost as bad on a busy outdoor firing line with concrete overhead baffles, but for matches or shooting outdoors at MCF&G, they do fine.

They'll ride around in the range bag until I get around to springing for the good stuff.
.
.

13 comments:

pax said...

Put a small dessicant pack in each ear cup when you drop them into your range bag. It'll pull the extra moisture out of the electronics and make the muffs last about twice as long.

Mossyrock said...

I have a set of the Howard Leight muffs that I bought to replace the el-cheapo Peltor set that crapped out on me. They lasted one range session. They are "OK" with pistols, but a no-go with rifles. I don't get a decent seal anyway, but trying to get a good cheekweld on a rifle completely broke the seal and basically rendered them useless. The search continues...

Frank F said...

Tam, Off topic, I just read in my local newspaper that there was a shooting incident in Broad Ripple/Indianapolis that left seven people injured. Hoping that you or any of your friends did not get caught up in that incident, and that all is well.

TBeck said...

Is the pistol's combat accuracy acceptable?

KM said...

Having earpro "cut off" at the shot would drive me nuts.

Pro Ears Gold - I'd buy another pair but I have 3 already.
P-E 20% off sale ends today.

Paul S. said...

With Marko and his friends starting to use the name "Major Caudill" in an ironic way, I can't wait until there's someone new on the scene who doesn't know the story and gets butthurt about Marko using a military rank that he's never achieved in his pseudonym. Stolen valor, and all that.

Old NFO said...

Looks like fun was had! :-)

RandyGC said...

Love the modified Vincent Price quote from a certain 80's video in the first caption.

Critter said...

I like the Howard Leight and I tend to double up anyway in an attempt to save what hearing I've got left.

Tom DeGisi said...

Me too.

Turd Ferguson said...

Please fix MAJ Caudill's awful grip. Shooting hammer thumbs is oh so 1979, and a terrible way to effectively shoot a modern service pistol.

Tam said...

I'm not nearly enough of a douchebag to offer unsolicited advice at the range. ;)

Kristophr said...

Paul S.:

MAJ Caudill is a Kentucky Major, so no stolen valour is involved.

(snerk)