Thursday, July 10, 2014

That other camera post I mentioned.

So, when I bought the Rebel XTi, my intention was to use it for a year or two and then pull the trigger on whatever the brand new version of the Canon Rebel line was at that time. I've enjoyed it and taken some slammin' good pictures with an initial cost outlay only a fraction of what buying new would have been.

While I was up in New Hamster, though, I got a chance to coonfinger Marko's Oleg-hand-me-down EOS 10D. For those not hip to the Canon nomenclature, those two-digit model number cameras are the "semipro" ones in Canon's lineup. A magnesium body and actual pentaprism make for a much more substantial-feeling camera than the all-plastic, pentamirror-using Rebel. I got a little case of the wantsies.

The 10D wouldn't accept my EF-S lenses, but the slightly newer 20D would. And used 20D bodies were going for barely more than a hundred bucks at KEH Camera Brokers... So, yeah, I did. Now the plan is to use the XTi and the 20D side-by-side for a year or two, before deciding whether to buy a new Rebel T7 or whatever they're up to by then... or get a lightly-used 60D or 70D.
.

11 comments:

Paul said...

Go Pro. You will be much happier with the process.

Steve said...

I had a 50D which most my photos on my site are taken with, just got a 70D around Christmas and like it so far. So I had the 50D converted to infrared. Went with the 70D because all my lenses are for APS-C sensor size so if I went full frame I would need all news lenses.

RevolverRob said...

Oooh!! I have been seriously in need a camera upgrade, my 10-year old Rebel is starting to show it's age. I hadn't really considered the idea of a used camera body (I don't know why...). Maybe a 50D is in my future.

-Rob

Chris said...

I bought a 20D a year or so ago for the same reasons. I have a few EF-S lens that I wanted to continue using. Mostly the Nifty 250 for a walk about lens. Maybe when I grow up I'll get a 1D used.

Unknown said...

Rob, the folks Tam mentioned, KEH, are the way to go, IME. I've not bought any bodies from them, but I have bought a number of Nikon F-mount lenses. They are _really_ conservative with their grading in my experience. I'd go for it. I'll just leave this link down here...
https://www.keh.com/207768/canon-50d-digital-camera-body-15-1-m-p

Tam said...

Matthew Fulghum,

KEH also sells through Amazon, which is why I linked to the used third-party 20D seller's list. ;)

RandyGC said...

The discussions about the various cameras and accessories are exactly I stayed with Instamatics and now cell phone cameras.

Between shooting and amateur radio, I have enough expensive addictions without being seduced into another one ;-)

BryanP said...

Interesting. I'm not a camera nerd, but my wife is. A few years ago I arranged for her to move up from her old Rebel to a 5D MKII. While the Rebel is a fine little camera (which she still keeps as a backup), there's just no comparison. My stepdaughter is interested in a nice camera and we're debating getting her a nice Rebel kit, but I'll run this by my wife and see what she thinks. Thanks for posting this.

Charlie Foxtrot said...

Must. Not. Buy Camera. Equipment. Panasonic Lummox SuperZoom is good enough.

Need guns and ammo...

And to keep wifie from killing me.

Gewehr98 said...

Pleased to see you integrating the DSLR into your vocation! But no red backgrounds, please...

Nik said...

I'll just take a moment to point out that the now 5 year old Canon EOS 7D is one more step up on the ladder toward pro gear -- but it's also the only 1.6x crop factor body to be there. A year goo it was $1000 body on the used market; currently B&H and Adorama are selling new bodies for a buck less, and the used versions seem to go for ~$650 give or take $50....

I'd buy it over a 50D or 60D every day; in fact I did. Nothing I've seen about the 70D made me want to dump it.

Rumor has it that the 7D Mk II is on the horizon in the next few months, when it drops expect 7D prices to fall even further....

So a year from now -- consider making it a contender. And yes, EF-S lenses will work well with it....